Dating: medieval castle from the 14th/15th century. First referenced in the year 1172.
Description: this well constructed castle was used to resist the successive Castilian attacks, in the reign of D. Fernando. During the War of the Restoration the castle was severely damaged and in the year 1644 King João IV, ordered to rebuild the walls, adapting it for artillery, but still it resisted with difficulty to the Spanish attacks. In 1762, during the War of the Seven Years, the castle was surrounded by the Spanish army who decimating great part of the garrison and ruining the castle.
This fortification was classified as of public interest. Part of the wall raised in 17th century still remains, surrounding the old nucleus of the city and the Main Tower. Nearby is the cathedral of Miranda.
Classification: Listed as property of public interest (Dec. nº. 40361 of 20-10-1955).
State of Conservation: Reasonable