The Convent of Balsamão has a part reserved for guests - House Retreat and Rest of Balsamão with central heating, 37 rooms with private bathroom, lounge andsatellite TV, conference room meetings or seminars, restaurant, bar and party hall for weddings, baptisms and other gatherings. The retreat house and rest of the Convent of Balsamão, as the name implies, is intended to spiritual retreats, courses, seminars, or simply relaxing a vacation away from the hustle of big cities. People who are Hosted in the Convent may participate in the prayers of the religious community, if they so wish. Balsamão! Silence that speaks, refreshing breezes, warm heat, wind that shakes, perfume inebriates, bringing faith, hope it inspires, ignites charity, peace that passes, God who reveals himself! Vieux of Oranges-trees cloister. The Convent of Balsamão is located in the north-east, Trás-os-Montes, in the heart of Bragança county, at 57 km from the city, 17 km away from Macedo de Cavaleiros and 4 km from the village of Chacim. The Balsamão hill is watered by river Azibo, in the south, with a small roman bridge lain across, and by the stream of Chacim in the north. As high as 522 m, the small hill has very particular micro-climate that allows the growth of the orange-tree and the almond-tree, making the landscape astonishing when the bloom starts. Party hall for weddings. Facing it you find the Bornes Mountain, once called “honey hill” with its fertile valleys and hillocks. The visitor, among other touristic points, has the chance to see the roman bridges mentioned before, the village of Malta, once a property of the military order with the same name, which is closely connected to the history of Balsamão, the damming of Azibo with its magnificent fluvial beach. The Balsamão hill is an isolated place where you can enjoy the beauty of the nature and the silence. The Historic memory of the convent is compose by the church( sanctuary of our lady of Balsamão), a small and old cloister and the room of the honour-able Frey Casimiro that conquers the tourists by its meaning, beauty and simplicity. In the Convent lives a religious community, the Marians of the Immaculate Conception who owns the Convent. They offer a shelter for pilgrims and guests. It also develops an activity plan linked to religious matters and studies for religious life and priesthood.
The retreat house at Convento de Balsamão has 37 rooms - all equipped with telephone, restrooms and heating - social and TV rooms, library, museum, conference rooms, cafeteria, restaurant, ballroom, a chapel and a church that has just undertaken a comprehensive restoration. Activities: Guided tour of the convent including museum, cloisters, chapel and church. All marked hiking trails around the property. Guided visit to the famous beach at the Azibo River, tours to the cities of Macedo de Cavaleiros, Alfândega da Fé, Bragança, Miranda do Douro, Santiago de Compostela in Spain and others.
Services and comforts:
Description: The Iberian Museum of the mask and costume is based on a partnership between the municipality of Bragança and the Diputación de Zamora. Inaugurated on February 24th, 2007, the Museum is intended to preserve and promote the identity and culture of the peoples of this border region, united by thousands of years of history. Part of costumes and masks characteristic of certain events of carnival festivals in winter of Tras-os-Montes, Lazarim and Zamora district, allowing the visitor to be contacted at any time of the year, with a multitude of festivals, rituals and characters, unique elements of our culture. Opening hour: 10am - 12:30pm | 2pm – 6pm
Description: Centre of contemporary art, which opened in June 2008, originated from the agreement signed in February 1999 between the cities of Bragança and Zamora. The center of contemporary art Graça Morais aims to promote awareness and knowledge of national and international contemporary art in general, and the work of the painter Graça Morais, in particular. It is based on a dynamic programme of temporary, collective and individual exhibitions, reinforced by the framework of multidisciplinary initiatives, through the Organization of educational programs that promote, expand, and keep the public interested in contemporary art. The Art Center also has as objective the creation of a collection of art, from donations, works in deposit or direct purchases. It was designed by the architect Eduardo Souto Moura, winner of the 2011 Pritzker Award (the highest award in the world of architecture).
Description: Major collections that make up the Museum's collection are archaeology, epigraphy, sacred art, paintings, gold, coins, furniture and ethnography. The Museum's collection has been enriched with donations, donations and purchases. The Museum was created by the decree law, 13th of November of 1915, under the name of Regional Museum of Art, archaeology and numismatics of Bragança. In 1935, the date of retirement of Abade de Bacal, changed name to Museum Abade de Baçal, in honour of the research scholar and director of the Museum between 1925 and 1935. It has been of great importance to the action of the Museum Dr. Raul Teixeira, director between 1935 and 1955. He was one of the main promoters of the culture of the region and defender of their assets and played a decisive role in the projection of the Museum and the creation of a significant part of its collection, thanks to the excellent relations that he had with cultural and artistic media of the time. Opening Hours: Tuesday to Friday: 10am - 5pm Saturday and Sunday: 10am – 6pm Closed to the public: Mondays
Description: created for the dissemination of the results of the research conducted in the Lorga Dine, enabling visitors to understand the historical and archaeological importance of the site. Located in Dine 26 km from Vinhais.
Description: located in the former House of the parish priest of the village of Agrochao, Vinhais. It is divided into three rooms which, in a dynamic and interactive way show how one lived in a village in the interior of the country. There is a Roman altar dedicated to the road gods, Marco Atio Galo, dating from the 2nd century. Opening hours: by appointment.
Description: located in an old olive oil mill in the village of Agrochão, Vinhais. This is a project with a didactic purpose to strengthen the memory and to inform more young people as is towards traditional olive oil production. Opening hours: by appointment.
Description: former primary school in the village of Vila Verde, 7 km from Vinhais. It Integrates a wide collection that transports visitors through the classrooms of former times. Its collection focuses on the objects used in everyday life of several schools in the municipality of Vinhais and is divided into several nuclei. Opening hours: by appointment.
Descripción: the building attached to the church of São Francisco of great architectural value, continued by the church of our Lady Nossa Senhora da Encarnação. Here you can to see a vast artistic patrimony, related with popular religion. Opening hours: Wednesday to Saturday – 10am to 5pm, (Opened on holidays: 9:30am to 1pm and 2.30pm to 6pm)